Monday, October 20, 2014

Baby-yo-be

Aiston: "I want to read Baby-yo-be."
Mommy: "What book is that?"
Aiston: "It's Baby-yo-be, Mom."
Mommy: "I don't know which book you mean. Can you tell me more?"
Aiston: "Mo-om, it's the Baby-yo-be one where the momma is holding a baby."
Mommy: "I still don't...oh! You mean baby you'll be...? The one called Love You Forever?"
Aiston: "Yes, that one! Can you please help me find it, Mom?"
Mommy: "Yes, of course. Now I know which one you are talking about..."

As we read, we share cuddles and we take turns "reading." You know the book well by now because it is one of our favorites. When we get towards the end, you ask lots of questions and I respond as best I can. It is a sad story and you start to get very teary-eyed. So do I. You are at an age where you are really starting to grasp how powerful emotions are. You talk about feelings a lot. Tonight is no exception. Tonight, you suddenly have a different understanding of this book. You realize that the mother in the story gets old and sick and that something happens to her, and that is why the Daddy (who used to be her baby boy) stands at the top of the stairs for a very long time, thinking. You noticeably try to hold back your tears, but I can't help it and I start to get really emotional. We exchange hugs and big cuddles and we share reassuring words with each other. Then you ask me: "And you're going to get older, too, Mom?" with huge teardrops hanging from your shiny chocolate brown eyes. And in that moment, I want to squeeze you harder than I have ever squeezed you in my life. I want to remember that we love each other THIS MUCH and I want you to know that I will always be here for you and that yes, people get older, but that we are still young and have lots of time to play and laugh and love. I love you beyond description, Aiston. I could not be a prouder momma. Thank you for this moment. I will not forget it. Melted. My. Heart. 

Love you FOREVER,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Teary eyed also as I read this, I'll always love you forever too my little Aceman, xoxoxoxoxox Lola

    ReplyDelete