Saturday, May 11, 2013

3 Things

Today, three things happened that I wanted to make sure I recorded:

1. You got your first shiner. I knew it was only a matter of time. You have gotten very confident walking (and hopping) down the stairs. We try to caution you that it is not safe to hop down the steps, but you giggle with glee as you do it and we figured one day, you'd learn. Today was the day! As you and I were walking side by side down the stairs, me holding things in my hands, you refusing to hold my hand, you began to jump. You lost your balance and toppled forward, banging your head on the next step down. Thankfully, I dropped everything I had in my hands and grabbed your arm before you went tumbling down the entire staircase. I managed to only inhale a minor gasp as I didn't want to frighten you more than you already may have been. You cried for a bit, we shared some cuddles and when you calmed down, we re-enacted what happened, and talked about how we can walk down the stairs safely and when we get to the bottom stair, we can jump. You had a nice goose-egg on your forehead, your very first, which is amazing considering your action-fueled personality and your risk-taking skills. Did you know your Tito Ryan had one of those bumps in almost every single picture he took as a baby and toddler?

2. You are really getting into the whole pretending thing, which Daddy and I love. It shows how imaginative you are. Today, you had me help you put on your backpack, and you told me you were going hiking. You waved and said, "Goodbye mom! Love you! Be safe!" and you toodled off into the "wilderness." The next thing I heard was you having a full-on conversation with Jillian, Mommy's colleague from work who we met for a hike while we were visiting the rice terraces over spring break. Then, you went to visit Lola on a "big airplane!" I just listened in as you greeted them, gave them pretend hugs and waves and talked to them about how you got there. You were ridiculously cute. If only I could have gotten it all on camera...

3. Your Daddy and I want to start helping you be more independent when we are at home. This summer will be a real test of how well you can play on your own while Mommy and Daddy are busy doing chores around the house. We built you a fort and sat in the living room with our books. Our goal wasn't to ignore you, but to be in the same space and not interacting with you fully and completely. We acknowledged when you spoke to us, but then let you be. You managed to spend 15 minutes looking at photo books beside me, all by yourself. Then, you spent time looking at your picture books by yourself. Finally, you played in your fort and with your piano (singing and dancing by mimicking Dad's terrible moves from the day before) and pretending to hike - all by yourself. You were amazing and we were so impressed by your growing abilities to be more independent! 

Love you, bud.
Mom

1 comment:

  1. You do have an imagination and that is super neat, boy do we have lots to catch up on my dear Mr. Magooooo!

    ReplyDelete