You have started asking WHY? A lot. Three times in a row so far. I love your curiosity.
At bedtime with your books splayed out in front of you, you have begun to say things like, "Mommy, Daddy, I read now. Hmmm, let's see. Where's the contents? This is the contents. Once upon a time, there was..." A little reader already.
Here is a recent conversation we had while we were playing for a few minutes before I left for work:
Ace: "Mommy, you be the birthmother, I be the Forever Mommy."
Me: "Okay, what do you want me to do?"
Ace: Shoving the baby into my shirt "You be the birthmother. Here, put the baby in your tummy."
Me (surprised): "You want me to be the birthmommy and put the baby in my tummy and then you are going to adopt her?"
Ace: "Yes."
We role play for a few seconds. I put the baby under my shirt. When she is born, I tell you, the Forever Mommy, that I cannot take care of any baby right now and that I love her and want what is best for her. I need someone who can give her lots of love. You say you can.
Ace: "I adopt her, okay? Bye bye birthmother! Thank you!"
We switch roles and you are the birthmother, and I am the adoptive mother.
Ace: Putting the baby under your shirt "Oh no. I can't."
Me: "You can't take care of the baby? That must be really hard. I know you love her a lot. I can adopt her and I can love her and take care of her forever."
Ace: "Yes, please."
I had tiny tears this morning. I am so proud that you are already talking about your adoption and that you already have this language. I am so happy that this is not a scary thing; that we are open and honest and loving about this subject that is going to get more and more difficult to understand. I love that you play pretend and that you can safely explore your feelings about adoption this way. You melt my heart, son.
--Mommy
You've already melted my heart Bugaboo, I love you so much!
ReplyDelete